Policy effective date: 13 May 2019
At Auckland Theatre Company Limited (‘Auckland Theatre Company’) and Waterfront Theatre Limited (‘ASB Waterfront Theatre’) our customers and clients are important to us. We are committed to protecting personal details securely and sensitively and in accordance with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (‘Privacy Act’).
The Policy affects all people who interact with Auckland Theatre Company and ASB Waterfront Theatre in person, via websites or social media, by email and by phone.
For the purposes of this Policy, “we”, “us” and “our” refers to both Auckland Theatre Company and ASB Waterfront Theatre. These two organisations share employees, premises and systems.
For the purposes of this Policy, “customer” refers to anyone who interacts with us other than in their capacity as an employee of Auckland Theatre Company or ASB Waterfront Theatre. This includes, but is not limited to, ticket buyers to performances, attendees at events, customers of our food services and clients (and their employees) who hire our premises.
This policy is divided into the following sections:
- How and why your personal information is collected,
- The kinds of personal information we collect and why,
- How and why we share your information,
- How you can opt out of receiving marketing information from us,
- How we secure your personal information,
- How you can access and update your personal information,
- Social media and APIs
- How to complain if you feel your privacy has been breached,
1 How and why your personal information is collected
Our business is presenting live performance and operating a venue. As part of the normal course of business we sell tickets, hire out our venue to third parties, coordinate events, operate a food and beverage service and encourage philanthropic giving.
To facilitate these activites, we collect information from our customers. Depending on the nature of your interaction with us, the personal information you provide will be entered into our ticketing customer relationship database or our event management system. Our accounting software will also store limited personal information related to billing, payments, donations, and receipts. We use the software to accurately manage our venue bookings, ticketing and invoicing. We maintain customer information to speed up the accuracy of processing orders.
We collect personal information when you purchase a ticket to an event at our venue or make a donation to us. You can do this by visiting;
- Our reception at Auckland Theatre Company, Balmoral, 487 Dominion Road, Mt Eden
- Our box office at ASB Waterfront Theatre, 138 Halsey Street, Wynyard Quarter
- Our websites (atc.co.nz and www.asbwaterfronttheatre.co.nz), and
- Our authorised ticketing agencies and partners.
Information is also collected when you interact with us in person or via our online apps and social media platforms, sign-up to receive information from us, or visit our ASB Waterfront Theatre.
When we collect information from you it could be explicitly in the form of you supplying information to complete a transaction or as a background activity though our use of electronic services or web-based platforms.
To assist with the marketing of our activites; we run competitions, operate email newsletters and make use of our websites and social media platforms to communicate with customers and promote events. We contract and partner with third parties to market, sell and promote our performances and to communicate with our customers. How to opt out of receiving this type of information is detailed in section 4.
ASB Waterfront Theatre operates closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras. Cameras are located in view as far as possible.
2 The kinds of personal information we collect and why
When you make a purchase, join a mailing list, enter a competition, hire our venue or make a donation we will request information from you. Some of this information will be required in order for you to finalise your transaction. This information may include:
- Your name,
- Your postal address,
- Your email address,
- Your telephone number, and
- Other personal identifying information that will help keep your information unique.
We collect this information so we can:
- Send you tickets you have purchased,
- Send you a donation receipt,
- Send you information relevant to the event you are attending,
- Process your transaction under the terms of our credit card merchant agreements governing credit card transactions,
- Respond to requests or enquires you make,
- Request feedback about your experiences attending our venues and events,
- Correspond with you about a competition you have entered,
- Contact you in the event of an event change or cancellation, and
- Contact you in the event of difficulties finalising your transaction.
With your consent, we may collect health information. This information is not required but we recommend that you provide us with this information when it will assist us to ensure you can access our venues and attend events in a way that protects your health and safety and promotes your enjoyment. This could include information to;
- Assist with venue accessibility,
- Accommodate guide dogs,
- Provide access to reading scripts, or
- Inform you of the use of special effects used during a performance that could affect your health or safety.
If you decline to provide information where it is required to complete a transaction, we may not be able to:
- Finalise your transaction, or
- Contact you in the event of performance cancellation or change.
If you wish your purchase details to remain anonymous, you are welcome to purchase tickets in person from our ASB Waterfront Theatre box office (Wynyard Quarter) or at our Auckland Theatre Company reception in Balmoral.
When you sign up to receive a newsletter, provided you have not opted out from receiving this information under section 4 below, we may use the information to send you:
- Information about future events and performances,
- Correspond with you about competitions,
- Request feedback from you,
- Invite you to participate in research,
- Send you fundrasing information and requests,
- Send you special offers, news and updates, and
- Any other communication we think will be of benefit or interest to you.
The Auckland Theatre Company website and the ASB Waterfront Theatre website webservers make a record of your visit and log the following information for anonymous, statistical purposes:
- Your computer’s unique IP address,
- The date and time or your visit,
- The pages you accessed and documents you downloaded,
- The website that linked you to our website (e.g. search engine),
- The type of browser and operating system you are using,
- The amount of time you spend on our website, and
- Your geographic location, type of device used and if this is a repeat visit.
We use this information to analyse our website performance. It does not personally identify users by name, address or link to any account you may hold with us.
When you visit ASB Waterfront Theatre, we may film your image on our visible, fixed CCTV cameras.
3 How and why we share your information
Third party hirers (such as other arts organisations, conference organisers, concert promoters) may use our ticketing services or may use a third party service (such as Ticketmaster or a conference organiser).
Where third party hirers make use of our ticketing service, we will share information about customers who purchase tickets to their event with them. This enables third party hirers to know who has attended their event. We will only share contact information where you have given us permission to in accordance with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007.
Third party hirers may be located overseas. The most common countries international third party hirers come from are Australia and the United Kingdom.
There are some circumstances where we may be required to share your personal information in order to operate our business including with businesses who are based overseas. This could be to contractors or service providers who;
- Assist us to send our mail/email,
- Provide us with IT services,
- Undertake data analytics for us, or
- Undertake independent research on our behalf.
When we engage such contractors or service providers we require them to:
- Keep your information secure,
- Use it only for the reason it was provided,
- Handle it in accordance with our directions and relevant Laws, and
- Return it to us or destroy all copies when they have finished unless they are required by Law to retain it.
There may be other cases where we advise you, at the time your personal information is collected, that a third party will receive the information (e.g. third parties offering goods or services through our websites, so they can process and fulfill your orders).
We may also share with certain media agencies and publishing partners such as Facebook, Google and Twitter anonymous unique identifiers (“Hashed Data”) allocated to you. The unique identifier may be associated with information collected when you post comments on our social media platforms, visit our websites, purchase online, use our apps, or email us.
This is so that we can provide you with customised content when you visit certain websites and so we can provide visitors to our websites with customised advertising.
Refer also to section 8, for descriptions of the social media features we may use on our websites to collect your information and the purposes of this collection.
- We may disclose CCTV footage to law enforcement bodies when required to meet a legal oblication such as a subpoena.;
- to undertake and assist investigations (including, but not limited to, external and internal investigations into possible criminal behaviour, employee and customer complaints, employee conduct, health and safety, and breaches of any applicable law or policies);
- to ensure the safety and security of individuals (including, but not limited to, customers, employees and visitors); and
- to protect our equipment, assets and critical infrastructure.
4 How you can opt out of receieving information from us
If you wish to only receive information about your ticket purchase, donation, competition entry or other transaction from us you may request that you stop receiving marketing communications from us.
To opt-out, you can;
- Telephone ATC reception on +64 9 309 0390 during normal business hours,
- Telephone ASB Waterfront Theatre box office on 0800 282 849 during box office hours,
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org,
- By logging in to your online PatronBase account and unsubscribing from the opt-in to receive EDMs and unticking the option giving us permission to pass you details to a third party hirer, or
- By using the ‘opt-out’ option at the bottom of our newsletters and marketing emails.
Ticket purchasers please note, we will continue to send you pre-show information relating to event/s you have purchased a ticket to. This information can include show reminders, updates and changes to the event itself and/or relevant information we become aware of (such as a change to carpark operating hours). If you would like to also opt out of receiving information of this type, please contact the ASB Waterfront Theatre box office by phone or email at the contact details above.
You may also request that we stop sharing your information with the presenters of the shows you attend for the purposes of them sending you marketing emails. Please note, opting out does not apply retrospectively and you may also need to opt out from any third parties that you are receiving emails from.
5 How we secure your personal information
We take all reasonable steps to protect all the personal information we receive. Information collected is stored in appropriately secure formats and systems. We take reasonable steps to ensure that your information is relevant, accurate, up-to-date, complete and not misleading.
We aim to keep your information for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which is was collected and can lawfully be used.
Only authorised personnel have access to our customers’ personal information, and work under strict controls and procedures.
CCTV footage is stored on our HDD DVR in our secure communications room at ASB Waterfront Theatre and kept for 30 days or until the drive is full, whichever occurs first.
6 How you can access and update your information
Under the Privacy Act, you have certain rights to request access to and correction of your personal information at any time. If you would like to access your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer using the contact information in section 9.
If you would like to update or correct your personal details please contact us by;
- Telephoning ATC reception on +64 9 309 0390 during normal business hours,
- Telephoning ASB Waterfront Theatre box office on 0800 282 849 during box office hours,
- Emailing email@example.com,
- Mail addressed to Privacy Officer, Auckland Theatre Company, PO Box 96002, Auckland 1342, or
- Logging in to your online PatronBase account and updating your details.
There are some circumstances under the Privacy Act when we are not obliged to provide access to the personal information we hold. If one of these situations applies to your request we will let you know.
When you visit our websites, we may store a Cookie on your computer or device. Cookies are a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer, tablet, mobile phone or other electronic device you use to visit our websites.
Cookies help us provide a more customised service and helps you get the best out of our websites. We also use them to better understand how people use our websites by, for example, enabling us to track trends and patterns of navigation.
Cookies may be used to collect anonymised visitor activity information, manage user log-ins and personal preferences, and provide you with relevant information or customised advertisements that may be of interest to you.
Depending on your browser, some of the Cookies we use are necessary to enable us to provide services such as selling tickets, goods and other services.
We use “first party” Cookies (Cookies from our websites) and ‘third party” Cookies (Cookies orginating from a third party website). We use first party Cookies for storing preferences and data needed throughout your visit to our websites (managing logins, preferences and shopping carts) and to provide you with customised advertising. We use third party Cookies for tracking user trends and patterns with the help of third party web statistic providers. These third party cookies are used exclusively by us and the web statistic provider and are not shared with any other party.
8 Social media and APIs
Our websites include features that are available through social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) and interactive programs. These features may collect your IP address, which pages you visit on our websites, and how long for. If you're a member of a social media site, the interfaces may allow the social media site to connect your visits to this site with other personal information. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our websites. Your interactions with these features are governed by the privacy notice of the third party providing it and to the maximum extent permitted by law we accept no responsibility for the actions of those third parties.
- We may provide an application programming interface (API) to enable third party applications to interface with our website. Some applications enable you to interact with us through the API in a way that requires you to log in. To do this, most of these applications will direct you through a process where you are able to let the application connect to your account.
- If you allow an application to connect to your account on our websites, including if you set up your account on our websites using an API with a third party social media platform, that application will be able to access information that you can see when you are logged in to our website. You should only allow applications you trust to access your account on our websites.
If you set up your account on our websites using an API with a third party social media platform, you also consent to us obtaining and using your information from such platform.
9 How to complain
If you have any concerns about the way we have collected, stored, used or disclosed your personal information you should write to us as soon as possible. We will endeavour to investigate and respond to you in writing within 20 working days.
Address your correspondence to:
Auckland Theatre Company and ASB Waterfront Theatre
PO Box 96002
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unhappy with the response you receive from us, you can lay a complaint with the New Zealand Privacy Commission.
This policy was last reviewed and updated March 2019